It's never "New Year, New Me" with me. I just do things impetuously, impulsively. I'll start walking towards Subway for lunch, and end up at a Chinese place instead. I don't know ahead of time. There's not even a deliberation going on in my brain. I'm already figuring out what I'm ordering from Subway and then it's like "WALNUT CHICKEN TIME" and my heart guides my feet to new adventures. This is just an example. The Walnut Chicken place sold out to a Japanese Steakhouse place. I love their sushi.
So 5 days ago I was like, "I've had this wool Rowena dress for almost 2 years now, maybe I should do their 100 day challenge. It's winter, why not? "So I did. I started the challenge. I am living in one clothing item and it's okay if your family worries that you're clinically depressed. It's for a mission! Actually people do it for different reasons, I've been trying to pare down my wardrobe , not to be a complete minimalist in everyday life but because I've got wanderlust-itis and I dream of road trips and light travel and being able to live out of one carryon backpack. I feel like other people would see me nerding out over how much I can really put in there without feeling sad for me. I imagine them going "oh that poor sad girl, is this all she has in life?" No it's not, but I can't deny feeling so much glee to fit fun, function and fashion all over the place. It's like I'll show you! I'm holding back sharing an itemized list of all the things I fit in there right now. It'll probably happen someday. I'm very proud.
Anyway, so I commit to the 100 day dress challenge. Wear the same dress every day. You can style it however you want, you can layer things over it, under it, accessorize, not accessorize. Wear it the same way every day if you want and they won't judge you for it. You can miss up to 5 days of photos or pause it if you have to. I enjoy leniency, it makes it feel like there's less pressure and therefore more fun. And if you complete the challenge the company gives you $100 store credit. Nothing truly motivates me more than shopping, with the exception of food. I finally quit smoking by utilizing my love of shopping. I just spent all my money on frilly clothes for my daughters. Couldn't afford cigarettes. It freaking worked. I can totally make it through this challenge for the same reason. I'll use that $100 credit for one of my girls, the one who likes clothes more. The other one is into art, and the youngest is into being a troll. She will do a creepy staring contest with you, while confessing her abundance of love for you, and then will giggle until it's grown to be maniacal. Then just walks away. It's surreal.
But I also decided that I was going to make it a point to read more. So I've stacked a reading challenge on top of my dress challenge. I have to read at least 1 chapter a day from a book I've never read before. Cause I've become that stereotypical person that was a voracious reader in her youth and then as an adult I keep buying books but never read them. So I'm just a book hoarder. That's crap. Total crap. Books deserve more respect. I deserve to explore their worlds from my bed, while wearing the same dress and NOT being clinically depressed.
"And, what the heck, why NOT learn another language while I'm at it?! I know I've been interested in Danish for over a decade but let's switch to FRENCH. We could visit Montreal!"
(I'm a Gemini btw. If that helps make things clear. We're basically hyperactive squirrels.)
"Oh hey, should we take up yoga? It'll be good for my health to exercise in some small way." See I'm not so sure about that one, but I bought a bougie yoga mat in case my chonky self sweats to much and starts to slide. This one assures me I will not slide.
"Maybe I should tarot journal every day or every week too! I've had that deck for so many years and it's so pretty. "
I feel like I should slap myself with a stick of patchouli incense and be like "Pfffft, no WAY you're going to keep up with all of that. NO WAY." and probably not. Still not sure if I can bring myself to Downward Dog. Maybe my heart isn't really going to be into learning the tarot. But let's just see, shall we? Maybe I can work something in to remember my daily meds on time. I have Type 2 diabetes as well as high blood pressure and the theory is if I can control it with medication and exercise and diet, and if I'm dedicated enough and lose weight I might even cure it. And for 3-4 weeks I was crushing it with testing regularly and taking my meds on time, all the time. Then my brain rejected and resented the routine of it and I've been struggling to remember to take them. Most days I *do* remember to take them. Just not always at a set time.
So I'll try it for my health. And for something to do. And because I'm slightly insane.
Comments
Post a Comment